Welcome to the Southern California Institute of Architecture.
SCI-Arc is a center of innovation and one of the nation’s few independent architecture schools, offering undergraduate and graduate programs. We are dedicated to educating architects who will imagine and shape the future.
Located in a quarter-mile long former freight depot in the intensely urban artist’s district in the heart of Los Angeles, SCI-Arc is distinguished by the vibrant atmosphere of its studios, providing students with a uniquely inspiring environment in which to study Architecture.
An integral part of the emerging cultural hub of a city with a tradition of architectural experimentation, the school is devoted to finding radically new responses to the real needs and aspirations of today’s world.
We offer students a unique experience as they pursue undergraduate, graduate, and post-professional degrees. Our approximately 500 students and 80 faculty members—most of whom are practicing architects—work together in a fluid, nonhierarchical manner to re-think assumptions, create, explore and test the limits of architecture.
The professional degrees awarded by SCI-Arc—the B.Arch degree and M.Arch degree offered through the M.Arch1 and M.Arch2 programs—are accredited by the National Architectural Accrediting Board (NAAB) and by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges (WASC).
The 2012 America’s Best Architecture Schools survey from DesignIntelligence ranks SCI-Arc as #1 graduate and #2 undergraduate architecture program in the Western US, with general rankings placing it at #7 in undergraduate and #13 in graduate programs overall. Based on the architecture skills assessment survey, SCI-Arc is ranked 2nd in design and computer applications, and 5th in research & theory, analysis & planning, and cross-disciplinary teamwork.
• We examine everything about the built environment—from design and materials to culture and experience.
• We ask provocative questions to provoke new thinking and prompt new theoretical constructs.
• We are international leaders in creating the future of architecture; our students and faculty come from throughout the world.
• We invite the community into our school and take our classes and ideas into the community; we are a nonprofit cultural center that is woven into the fabric of Los Angeles.
• We create designs that change how people interact with each other and their environment. We understand that the power to change lives is at our fingertips.